Sports nutrition is continually evolving and it’s often hard for fitness fans to keep pace with the latest advice on how best to eat for enhanced performance and recovery.
Carbohydrates have always been the recommended fuel of choice for exercise, although it’s now been discovered that it’s also beneficial to take on board some fats during endurance exercise. Protein on the other hand was believed to be best consumed after exercise to aid muscle recovery. However, recent research1,2,3,4 has highlighted that consuming a carbohydrate/protein mix during longer distance running or cycling could help reduce muscle pain, lessen the sense of exertion, increase endurance and aid muscle recovery.
Almost all sports bars on the market are currently split into two camps, those for energy during training and those for protein after training; meaning athletes may not be getting the best results from their on-the-go nutrition.
The Primal Pantry believe they have a tasty solution in the form of their new range of natural high-protein bars. The bars combine a healthy serving of natural energy in the form of both carbohydrates and fats from a range of real food ingredients. These include dates, coconut nectar and almonds, alongside 15g of hemp protein to ensure your mind and muscles get everything they need.
There are four exciting flavours available: Cocoa Orange, Mixed Berry, Cocoa Brownie and Double Espresso, the latter also containing 146mg of caffeine, provided by raw ground coffee. Research has shown that consuming caffeine with carbohydrates can have a dramatic effect on long distance performance5, increasing output by as much as 23%, and in other sports6 can help improve reaction time and sprint action. The Double Espresso bar is one of the few products on the market to combine carbohydrates, protein and caffeine in an on-the-go snack.
The new Primal Pantry new bars pack a nutritive punch while retaining the nutritional integrity the brand was built on. This is why you only see real food ingredients in these bars: there’s not an additive, preservative, flavouring or colourant in sight. Clean, natural sources of nutrition are what the Primal Pantry does best.
For further details or to buy head over to www.primalpantry.com
#PlantProtein #RealFoodRevolution #EatCleanTrainDirty
1. Physiol Behav. 2017 May 15;174:170-177. The effect of carbohydrate and protein co-ingestion on energy substrate metabolism, sense of effort, and affective responses during prolonged strenuous endurance exercise. Qin L1, Wong SH2, Sun FH3, Huang Y4, Sheridan S1, Sit CHP1.
2. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Jul;36(7):1233-8. Effects of a carbohydrate protein beverage on cycling endurance and muscle damage. Saunders MJ1, Kane MD, Todd MK.
3. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Sep;38(9):1608-16. Effect of an isocaloric carbohydrate-protein-antioxidant drink on cycling performance. Romano-Ely BC1, Todd MK, Saunders MJ, Laurent TS.
4. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2007, 21(3), 678–684 2007 National Strength & Conditioning Association Consumption of an oral carbohydrate-protein gel improves cycling endurance and prevents postexercise muscle damage Saunders MJ, Luden ND, Herrick JE
5. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2007 Feb;17(1):35-55. Caffeinated sports drink: ergogenic effects and possible mechanisms. Cureton KJ1, Warren GL, Millard-Stafford ML, Wingo JE, Trilk J, Buyckx M.
6. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2016 Jan;11(1):108-15. Effect of Carbohydrate and Caffeine Ingestion on Badminton Performance. Clarke ND1, Duncan MJ.
- Primal Evolution
- The Cleanest Protein Bars Around by The Primal Pantry
- The Primal Pantry bars
- Multipower launches Nature’s Power Bar
- BodyMe Super Energy Mix
- Using Energy Gels For Long Runs