Galician Almond Cake
A delicious post- exercise treat or a nutritious and elegant dessert.
This fabulous almond cake is surprisingly simple and doesn’t take long to make. It is a delicious combination of just almonds, sugar and eggs. It is moist and light, gluten free and a great natural energy food. Almonds are not only packed with good, cholesterol-reducing monounsaturated fats, but they also contain significant amounts of the antioxidant vitamin E, plus magnesium and potassium. Eat a slice of this cake as a post-exercise treat to replenish your muscles with carbohydrate, protein and lost mineral, or serve it as a dessert with a dollop of cream and some fruit.
Nutrition per serving: Energy (kcal) 323 Protein (g) 9 Carbohydrate (g) 31 Fat (g) 18 Of which sugars (g) 30 Of which saturates (g) 2 Salt (g) 0.1 Fibre (g) 2
Makes a 23cm cake – enough for 6–8 people You will need a 23cm spring-form cake tin or flan dish, greased 4 eggs, separated zest of 1 lemon 225g caster sugar 225g ground almonds ½ tsp cinnamon 1 tbsp medium or sweet sherry icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage with an electric whisk.
- Place the egg yolks, lemon zest and sugar into a separate bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
- Stir in the almonds, the cinnamon and the sherry.
- Fold in the egg whites, a little at a time, and then pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Cook in the oven for about 30–35 minutes, until golden. If you poke a skewer into the middle of the cake, it should come out clean. Cool in the tin, on a wire rack.
- Decorate with icing sugar.