Some simple Do's and Don'ts from the Running4Women team.
- Have a health check.
- Ensure that you buy running shoes that are correct for you - visit a professional shop.
- Find out if there is a group to run with in your area – if not assemble your own through the Running4Women network.
- Determine safe, well lit areas to run, or find an adequate gym if you are working on a treadmill.
- Be imaginative and creative in your choice of training routes.
- Progress patiently.
- Keep a sense of purpose and structure to your running.
- Adopt an holistic approach.
- Determine when is the most effective and realistic time of day for you to run.
- Set goals but hurry slowly.
- Ensure your running enhances and enriches your lifestyle.
- Be positive about what YOU can achieve irrespective of all the doubters.
- Enjoy the time to yourself that running provides.
- Make time to stretch before and after your runs.
- Be put off by anyone.
- Run with colds or injuries.
- Buy shoes for their looks.
- Try to do too much too quickly.
- Run alone in the dark at night.
- Allow your running to make you feel rushed.
- Doubt what you can achieve.